Google
 
Pavacha Uppit(Bread Upma)
Pav is a Marathi word for Bread.In Bombay pav bhaaji is so popular .Bread with butter ,or with some spread is common.Before going to receipe I like to share a few words about breads.In Germany staple food is bread and they are one of the biggest consumer in the world.It has a widest variety more than 300 varities.They mainly make with wheat flour and rye. I love to have my brunch in backery whenever I stepped out earlier.

From what I have tasted so far my favourites are in salty bread pepperoni stange (bread baked with chilli),Sonenblumenbrot(sunflower seed bread )and in sweet bread Berliner(bread topped with sugar and filled with jam). But its really hard on weekends too .I bought bread suits for toast or for sandwich.

I will always keep in mind of 'best before'in the product pack, whatever I bought from a shop.I think its necessary to notice this things because it matters! atleast on food packs.

We need atleast with some first class(quick and easy )spicy food.My bread is nearing the expiry days.I should finish it off ,before it is going to be a gone case and to the garbage. We can even consider this as Brunch at times.

Some people call it as pavacha sheera,podnicha pav, pavacha uppma .In my house they used to say it as uppit for uppma.
Ingredients
  • Bread slices-8
  • Big Onion -1
  • Mustardseed
  • Urid dhal
  • Greenchilies -2
  • Curry leaves 1 sticks
  • Tomato-1(optional)
  • Red chillies-1(optional)
  • Oil 1 tblsp
  • Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
  • Salt for taste
Method

Cut the Bread slices into medium square pieces or even cut into big pieces and using mixer give one small(zrrrrrrrrrr) round.

Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seed to splutter.

Then add urid dhal ,chillies,curryleaves,onion and tomatoes.

Saute for a min ,add turmeric powder and the bread slices or mixture and mix it up and cover with a lid.

Simmer the stove for 2-3 mins. Add salt according to your taste.

Crispy hot bread upma is ready.

I serve this upma with a cup of masala chai.(Tee with one or more spices).My mother-in- law serves chai using atleast 2 or 3 spices for guest.Seeing her,I used to make chai atleast with crushed ginger and cardamom powder.

This is also my entry for WBB#12 hosted by Trupti's with a theme 'spice it up' in her The spice who loved me.

5 comments:

TNL said...

This is the best way to use up stale bread! I make this often...yes mostly for brunch...I also sprinkle some milk on it towards the end for a little sweet flavor and a softer texture...

thanks!

trupti

GV Barve - Gokhale said...

trupti,
I never tried milk.Let me try and let you know.Tomatomakes softer too....

Nupur said...

In my parents' home, it is called bread cha sanja. Looks so good!

Dhana said...

Timely post..atleast for me ;) Had too much bread left over from a party..now i know what to do with it !

GV Barve - Gokhale said...

Nupur thanks for sharing the name..I never heard of it before...

Dhana Hmm try to make with leftover..It will give a new and nice receipe...